Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog! Please look around and see what my blog has to offer, from party inspiration, DIY craft tutorials, yummy treat ideas, and so much more! And make sure to pin on Pinterest! If you click on the Free Printables tab on the top of this page, you will find all of my posts with free printables. Also, if you would like to stay up-to-date with all of my new posts, subscribe by email (enter it on the right margin of this page) or like my Facebook page HERE. Have a blessed day!

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Double Chocolate Banana Carrot Bread


Who wants to eat some chocolate?  I do , I do!  Brody and Skylar are also huge chocolate fans.  I am always trying to find creative ways to get them to eat healthier foods, like more fruit and vegetables.  Both of them love fruits, but it is always tough to get them to eat veggies. Skylar also does not like bananas, which I think is one of the most perfect fruits out there since they are so easy to pack for lunches, as a snack, and to use for banana bread!

I found this yummy recipe for Triple Chocolate Banana Bread that I had to try!  Unfortunately I did not have all of the ingredients needed for the recipe.  So using what I had, I tweaked the recipe a little bit.  I also wanted to sneak in some carrots.  So I used my Magic Bullet to puree some baby carrots and threw this in with the batter (the photo shows the mashed bananas mixed with the carrots)...Shhhhh.... don't tell my kids!


Finally, I like to throw in a little bit of extra chocolate chips.  Right before I throw the loaf pans in the oven, I sprinkle the top of batter with some extra chocolate chips...


Here is the recipe:

Double Chocolate Banana Carrot Bread

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
 1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
  7 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  2 medium bananas, mashed (approximately 1 cup)
1/2 cup baby carrots
1/4 cup milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (and extra to sprinkle on top)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or spray with cooking spray) two 9" x 5" x 2.5" loaf pans.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter until smooth, and then beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in egg  and vanilla.  Mash up the bananas by hand or throw into a Magic Bullet or food processor.  Once the bananas are mashed, throw the baby carrots into the Magic Bullet as well to puree and add banana/carrot mixture to the butter mixture.  Add milk.

Gently mix in dry ingredients and chocolate chips until just blended.

Evenly divide batter between prepared pans.  Sprinkle tops of batter with extra chocolate chiops and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool bread in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 


The bread turned out so yummy and chocolaty.


I gave the kids this bread as their after-school snack and called it "Chocolate Brownie Cake" to make it sound more appealing.  Skylar absolutely loved it!!  She is the one who does not like banana bread, so she couldn't even taste the bananas!  Brody loved it too and I actually told him what it was made of and he was impressed.

Enjoy!!  

If you know of any other recipes that include hidden veggies, please leave a comment with a link to the recipe so I can try it!

Recipe adapted from Scarlet Threads.

No comments:

Post a Comment